Monday, November 12, 2012

The Gold Rush - A Deliciously Simple Cocktail with a Twist.

I have a shameful secret. Occasionally, people ask me what my favorite 'everyday' cocktail is. Something to make after coming home from a long day at work. (Or after stepping into the kitchen from a long day at work. Working from home is pretty sweet.) My favorite cocktail to make at the end of a long day is: beer. Seriously, who wants to juice limes and muddle cucumbers and make syrups after nine hours of work? Not me. Cocktails are delicious. But I am lazy. 


However! Lately, the thing I find myself reaching for is not a beer, or even a nice tall glass of wine. It's a Gold Rush, a delicious (and stupidly simple) amalgamation of bourbon, lemon and honey. Jason gets credit for discovering the Gold Rush when we went to LA's Copa D'Oro, part of a disturbing trend where my friends always manage to order delicious-er drinks than me at schmancy cocktail bars. I thought of this cocktail when another friend texted me wanting to know of a good bourbon cocktail for someone who found an old fashioned a little too strong. Recollecting the Gold Rush and its bourbony deliciousness, I decided to mix one up for myself. Here are a couple of recipes I found, courtesy of the internets:

Gold Rush 1 
2 oz bourbon
.75 oz lemon juice (fresh-squeezed, and don't cheat)
.75 oz honey syrup

Gold Rush 2
(from the Lush Chef)
2 oz bourbon
.75 oz lemon juice
1 oz honey syrup

To make the honey syrup: mix one part honey with two parts hot water. Stir. Super easy. 

To make the drink: combine all the ingredients in a shaker full of ice, shake the hell out of it, and strain into a cocktail glass. 

I tried both variations: version 2 is a smoother cocktail, whereas the one with less honey is a little saucier. At the time I couldn't decide which one I liked better, but after a while I decided to go with version 2, mostly because this recipe lends itself quite well to the addition of a little bit of lavender bitters, which will give the drink a little something floral on the nose and a certain je ne sais quoi on the tongue. I've decided to call the lavender version 'Purple Rain'. I'm sure I'm not the first person to call a drink that. But I'm sure mine is the best. 

Purple Rain
2 oz bourbon
.75 oz lemon juice
1 oz honey syrup (from local wildflower honey!)
I dash lavender bitters (I used Bar Keep Lavender Spice bitters. Don't go too crazy with this stuff, or your drink will taste like a bar of soap.)

Quick, put on a Prince album. And drink up. 

6 comments:

  1. Mmm... looking for a recipe to try out the lavender bitters I picked up recently. Also, I think I'd try subbing in some Bärenjäger (if only because I have a giant bottle that needs some attention).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Im currently a student in London and right now I'm doing a huge research project
    for my dissertation on non-alcoholic cocktails, looking at the experience and
    fascination of cocktails etc.
    Im also a part time cocktail bartender which is where my interest in alcohol
    has come from.
    Im a huge fan of your blog, and would love to ask you a few questions about your
    views and thoughts which would really help towards my primary research. Would
    this be okay?
    Thanks,
    Grace

    Gracerit@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. pengobatan penyakit glaukoma secara alami tanpa operasi

    Obat Herbal Glaukoma

    ReplyDelete
  4. pengobatan alami untuk menyembuhkan penyakit kanker usus halus tanpa operasi
    Obat Herbal Kanker Usus Halus

    ReplyDelete