Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Where to get farm-fresh produce in Houston.

The first time I ever went to a farmers market* was a few months ago. Now, thanks to this little project, I am quickly becoming an expert on tracking down local produce. Here are some of my favorite sources:

Urban Harvest Farmers Market
Every Saturday, rain or shine, 8 AM-noon. Located just east of Greenway Plaza and conveniently right next door to my office (although I try not to go to work on the weekend when I can help it). You can also buy fruit trees here - check out their website.

Farmers Market at Rice University
For those who are loathe to wake up before noon on Saturday (me). Tuesdays, 3:30 to 7 PM.

Midtown Farmers Market
Saturday, 8 AM-noon. In the parking lot of T'afia, one of my favorite local restaurants. Haven't tried this one yet, but fresh fruit, hot breakfast and mimosas? Now there's a reason to wake up before noon.

If you can't make it to the farmers market, Whole Foods is also a good source for locally-grown produce - just look for the signs that say "local" or "go Texan". And you can gawk at all the hippies. No, just kidding.

*Does the lack of an apostrophe in this phrase bother anyone besides me? It's the market belonging to the farmers, right? Not a market where one buys farmers. Maybe I should change the name of this blog to "The Backyard Grammar Nazi".

1 comment:

  1. Re: apostrophes

    I also believe that it technically should be "farmers' market"; the farmers "possess" the market.

    That is, unless slavery is en vogue again...

    ReplyDelete